For increased security, you canto the wireless network to allow only specific PCs based on their MAC addresses. You can to only trusted PCs so that unknown PCs cannot wirelessly connect to the router. MAC address filtering adds an obstacle against unwanted access to your network, but the data broadcast over the wireless link is fully exposed.
To based on MAC addresses:
1. Log in to the NETGEAR wireless NETGEAR wireless router.router at its default LAN address of http://www.routerlogin.net with its default user name of admin, and default password of password, or using whatever password and LAN address you have chosen for the
Note: If you configure the router from a wireless computer, add your computer’s MAC address to the access list. Otherwise you will lose your wireless connection when you click Apply. You must then access the NETGEAR wireless router from a wired computer, or from a wireless computer that is on the access control list, to make any further changes.
2. From the main menu, select , and then click Setup Access List to display theAccess List screen.
3. Click Add to add a wireless device to the wireless access control list. TheAccess Setup screen opens and displays a list of currently active wireless cards and their Ethernet MAC addresses.
4. Adjust the list as needed for your network. You can add devices using either of the following methods:
• If the computer is in the Available Wireless Cards table, select the radio button of that computer to capture its MAC address.
• Use the Add button to enter the MAC address of the device to be added. The MAC address can usually be found on the bottom of the wireless device.
Note: If no device name appears when you enter the MAC address, you can type a descriptive name for the computer that you are adding.
5. Click Add, and then click Apply to save these settings. Now, only devices on this list will be allowed to wirelessly connect to the NETGEAR router.