If you are unable to access the NETGEARrouter’s main menu from a computer on your local network, check the following:
• If you are connecting from a wireless computer, try connecting from a wired computer.
• Check the Ethernet connection between the wired computer and the router. Make sure that the cable connections are secure, and that you are using the correct cable.
• Make sure that your computer’s IP address is on the same subnet as the router. For instructions, click the link to the online document “Preparing Your Network” in Appendix B to configure your computer.
Note: If your computer’s IP address is shown as 169.254.x.x: Windows and Mac OS generate and assign an IP address if the computer cannot reach a DHCP server.These autogenerated addresses are in subnet 169.254.x.x. If your IP address is in this range, check the connection from the computer to the router, and reboot your computer.
• Try closing the browser and opening it again, or try a different browser.
• Make sure that you are using the correct login information. The factory default login name is admin, and the password is password. Make sure that Caps Lock is off when entering this information.
If the router does not save configuration changes that you have made, check the following:
• When entering configuration settings, be sure to click Apply before moving to another screen or tab, or your changes could be lost.
• Click Refresh or Reload in the Web browser. The changes might have occurred, but the Web browser might be caching the old configuration.